Friday, December 5, 2008

Sketchbook

I like looking at sketchbooks.
I like collecting published sketchbooks of artists. To see their thoughts on paper.
Raw. Fresh. Inspired.
I'd like to write a book called "Gesture Drawing Saved My Life."
(I like the title anyway. Gesture drawing hasn't really saved my life. Yet. There is still time.)
I like looking at sketches that artists "dump" on their blogs. I'm following some French animators. The sketches are great. And the animation is great.
To see someone's passion on paper is exciting.
Will I "dump" my artwork here in the future?
Maybe.
What is the reason to share art? What drives us to share with strangers or friends?
Scanning in my doodles is a lot of work. I'll have to plan ahead for this. (It tires me to think about it.)
But for the rest of you, keep it up. I like what I'm seeing.
...

2 comments:

Tom Pohlman said...

Hey Pete- This blog entry caught my alter-ego's attention :>) What would think about hosting or collaborating on a "sketch-a-day" blog just for fun?! I have stacks of sketchbooks, chock-full of some pretty twisted/strange ideas that have never seen the light of day...might be fun to see what we could dig up from others as well. No one would have to spend hours scanning if it were low/no pressure ONE a day?! Hmmm- I guess the only caveat would be figuring out a convenient way to have everyone post their own stuff with minimal maintenance on your/my behalf... I'll try to go do some research- what do YOU think??? Fun? A drag? -Tom

Pete Sleeper said...

Thanks, Tom. I think it's a great idea. I've seen some other blogsites where a group of artists or writers show off there stuff. I'm in.
(By the way, we love New Mexico. And your paintings are great.)